Saturday, October 11, 2008

Fall Traditions and Another 20-miles 10/11/08 & 10/12/08

Columbus Day breakfast: 2 eggs, spinach, light cheddar, ketchup, flax and fiber toast. Yum, protein! Plus a GREAT McIntosh apple w/ maple-peanut butter.


Pre 20-miler/Post 20 miler fuel: Pumpkin Spice Pancakes!!
These pancakes were GREAT. So light and fluffy - almost like pumpkin muffin tops. Mmm, I loaded mine up with maple-peanut butter and maple syrup. Recipe adapted from http://www.allrecipes.com

INGREDIENTS

  • 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, pumpkin, egg, oil and vinegar. Combine the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt, stir into the pumpkin mixture just enough to combine.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. Serves 2.


Homemade apple pie: I've made my own apple pie for the past 4 years - it's becoming quite the tradition! As usual, I followed my Better Homes & Gardens classic apple pie recipe. However, this year I couldn't resist using some whole wheat flour in the crust. I also decided to use 100% butter (vs. shortening). I prefer eating real butter over crisco, but the all butter crust isn't as flaky and tender as the butter-shortening combo. Oh well! It's still very yummy. The Granny Smith apple filling provided a pleasant tart contrast to the sugar and butter.


A Northern Manhattan Autumn



I took my camera for a run along the Hudson River. So pretty!




No comments: